Monday, August 17, 2009

Golden elm

We have a beautiful golden elm tree growing close to our deck. It gives great shade in summer, while letting winter sun in when it loses its leaves. We get so much enjoyment from this tree - watching the leaves turn yellow and slowly fall off, then some paper-like blossoms appearing before the new leaves shoot out. We also enjoy the little finch-like birds that hop through its branchs. For a while a pair of turtle doves enjoyed the tree too. I have often looked at the strong lines of the veins in the leaves and turned them into quilt pieces in my mind.
In the last couple of weeks, I worked on turning them into a quilt design on paper. It's all drawn up now, ready for me to start making it. It's been put on hold for a bit though, while I get sidetracked with turning other ideas into quilt designs while the drawing is going so well. But I like the idea that there is a quilt design drawn out to full size all ready for me to get stuck into when the sewing bug bites again!

3 comments:

Prue said...

Looks great! Good to see you putting those drawing skills into practice so often!

Ruth said...

Thanks Prue, I'm realising how true it is that 'practice makes perfect', or at least, its all becoming much easier with regular practice!

Arlene said...

i love that, can't wait to see it in quilt