Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mind elsewhere

Tonight I am working on a particularly tedious stage of my quilt. Other times, that means that my evening is spent dreaming up new quilt designs and ideas in my head as I'm working. (Oh, the quilts that are dreamt up on a good evenings stitching!)

Tonight though, for no particular reason, my mind is focussed firmly on people. On dear friends. Friends struggling with mental illnesses. Friends confused about the path they are travelling in life. Friends torn apart by the path their children choose to travel. Friends battling cancer, or just niggling little health issues that won't go away. Friends longing for life partners. Friends praying for the gift of children (when I sometimes have the audacity to consider my four as 'too-much-of-a-blessing'). Friends who grieve. Friends who miss loved ones far away. I also think of other people. Of the man down the road who doesn't appear to have any family. Of the shell-of-a-woman I passed in the shop today, obviously undergoing serious struggles in her life. Of the young mum I met in the park, longing for interaction with others. I feel these burdens in my heart and I would like to fix them, but clearly I can't. I am just so thankful that I may hand my burdens (including the heavy heart I bear for my friends) over to the Lord, knowing that He has all things in His hands. Will you do the same?

"Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

1 comment:

Prue said...

I had that verse in my head the other day - it was the rest bit I was really taking solace from, considering my sore and recovering broken wrist.