Friday, March 4, 2011

A certain useful engine

You may remember these play quilts for Aaron and Hannah? They are still very popular, and they still don't have enough blankets to build their cubbies! Well, it's high time for Caleb to have one too. I have had a few fabric bits sitting around for a while, including a couple of train prints, but needed more - preferably interesting, but cheap. So I was over the moon when I discovered a quiltcover set from the '80s in the opshop, featuring a certain useful engine...
Because of the large scale print, I could make up the rest of the quilt from this piece of fabric! The quilt is going to be a 3rd birthday present, but as you can see, we're not being very secretive about it - after all, half the fun is in the making. Caleb has loved watching me make this, and picking out the various engines.

3 comments:

Bronya said...

That is a gorgeous quilt ... I've finally got my picnic squares cut out but now I don't have a sewing machine *sigh* ... I love what you do with material ...

DereknSteph said...

so cute Ruth!! Katie was standing behind me and said "Mum look theres Thomas!!" we have your pic of the 3 oldest kids up on our fridge from a couple Christmas's ago and Katie remembers alot of playing with your kids that afternoon we spent at your place. such good memories. I love it that she can picture your family now!!

Ruth said...

Can't believe it's already a year ago, Steph! I bet Katie's missing Uncle Ed now, after his recent visit!

Bronya, you can always hand-piece them :)