Thursday, December 15, 2011

Boredom Management System

School holidays officially started at 12 noon today for us. At about 1:42pm I heard the first 'Mum, I don't know what to do'... So I put my other activities aside and set up our Boredom Management System. It involves a selection of craft/drawing/sewing/lego books made easily accessible on the computer table...
...and three little 'booklets' attached to the nearby pillar...
...one with jobs to be completed...

  
...one with activities to do together with me (like ride around the lake, visiting a playground, baking, or a sewing project)...
...and an 'entertain yourself' booklet which basically lists all the things I always suggest when they are bored (although, often "I'm bored" actually means "I don't feel like doing anything")...
 

My aim is to tackle a holiday job and a 'together' activity most days (jobs before morning coffee, and fun stuff after morning coffee and before lunch). Then I can have 'time out' in my studio after lunch while Daniel sleeps and the other kids entertain themselves. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see how it works in practice.

2 comments:

bronya said...

our holidays started at lunchtime today as well ... although school starts back again on the 10th of Jan ... like this idea - hopefully will implelent before the holidays are over - if not i hope to simply get online and purchase heaps of craft books for the next holidays :) like the sound of that idea too

Jane said...

What a great idea... if only I was that organised to put this together...